In March, I:
- contributed the remainder of the pre-tax 401(k) limit for the year! All done.
- saw my 401(k) balance surpass one year’s salary!
- contributed ~25% of the amount I can contribute to my 401(k) after-tax.
- finished my taxes in the TurboTax Deluxe download program my boyfriend and I had bought (much cheaper than filing two single returns with TurboTax online) and got my < $100 refund. I had great tax planning skills in 2015!
- saw the first quarterly interest on my 5% prepaid card savings accounts that I mentioned back in January.
- saved 82% of my net income this month for a total savings rate overall so far of 75%.
- saw my investments hit a new all-time high of one-month return, enough to recover from the losses in February and March, but 2015’s losses yet. My savings rate hides that though!
- saw my net worth go up by $26,000 or 3.9% to $691,000.
Expenses: I spent $2,591 in March including the mortgage or $1,564 without it, with no charitable donations this month. That breaks down to:
- $2,212 in fixed/unavoidable expenses: HOA dues, mortgage payment, health, and transportation
- $379 in discretionary expenses: clothing, entertainment, food, eyebrows, toiletries
Some of my controllable expenses broke down as follows:
- ($27) Clothing [$504 total so far this year; $1,878 at this point last year] – return of a long-sleeved running shirt bought in January (-$44), returned the pair of jeans bought in February (-$71) and bought a pair that does fit ($145), returned the pair of spring khakis bought in February (-$60) and bought a pair that does fit ($65), and returning one of the dresses bought in February (-$63)
- $131 Entertainment/Social [average so far this year: $54, average last year: $116] – a little bit of cash, but mostly hanging out with friends
- $143 Food [average so far this year: $81, average last year: $51] – this covers all discretionary food. I was a bit lazy with taking my lunch to work this month…
- $0 Cell phone – got a rebate that should cover my Cricket cell phone bill for 2.5-2.9 months
- $693 Health – yay for high-deductible plans…
- $20 Eyebrows
- $112 Toiletries [average so far this year: $49, average last year: $48] – stocked up on deodorant, dry shampoo, and lipbalms
- $137 Transportation: tolls replenishment (x3) and two tanks of gas
I budgeted $4,000 per month for spending this year and so far, I’ve only spent $8,069 of that. I also accidentally included medical costs in that figure even though I pay for those out of my HSA, which means I’ll likely have some money left over in my checking account at the end of the year because I spent ~$1,000 on health costs in 2015. After accounting for April’s mortgage payment and HOA dues and the property taxes for the year, I have about $4,419 in available funds for discretionary spending, which will likely end up going towards travel and/or a new couch.
Readers, how was your money in March?