Last month, I talked about how I wasn’t really happy with my food spending. One of my projects for April is to fix that. I’m less concerned about how much money I’m spending on food and more about the time invested and happiness I get out of the food eating experience.
I almost always eat cereal and orange juice for breakfast, so I’ll only specify breakfast if that’s not the case. That spending falls into my “Groceries” line item. I usually buy orange juice by the gallon and switch up the cereal a lot, buying the largest box of a type I can. I also generally have some chocolate in the afternoon which either falls into “Dining Out” (vending machine), “Groceries” (bulk chocolate buying), or “Travel” (I love buying chocolate while in other cities). If I go for afternoon coffee, that counts in the “Lunches” category since it’s a work break thing.
Sunday, April 1st
- First lunch: sandwich, $4.37 (Dining Out)
- Second lunch: free or you could say it was included in my weekend tournament fee
- Dinner: awesome local pizza, $14.67 (Dining Out)
- Total day’s cost: $19.04
- Stopped at the grocery store on the way to work to get some yogurts for snacks. Cost for 5 small yogurts: $3. (Groceries)
- Breakfast: yogurt at work
- Lunch: manager paid. I really like eating lunch with my team on Mondays.
- Dinner: out with a friend while shopping – fun! Cost: $17.98 (Entertainment)
- Total day’s cost: $20.98
- Lunch: by myself. Cost: $5.56 (Lunches)
- Dinner: leftover pizza from Sunday night
- Total day’s cost: $5.56
- Lunch: with a friend. Cost: $7.65 (Lunches)
- Dinner: made some frozen Chinese food I had bought at the grocery store the previous week and had the leftover rice from Friday night.
- Total day’s cost: $7.65
- Lunch: with a friend. I almost ate by myself, but then I decided to see if she was free and that was a good plan. Cost: $8.88 (Lunches)
- Dinner: out with a friend before going to play sports – fun! Cost: $11.34 (Entertainment) We do this every week and normally I spend $5 on a small sandwich, but we switched it up this week.
- Total day’s cost: $20.22
- Breakfast: oatmeal and orange juice
- Lunch: stayed home sick from work, so I had chicken noodle soup and salted crackers for lunch. I keep a stash of soups at all times :)
- Dinner: leftover Chinese food from Wednesday night and leftover rice from the previous Friday night. I should probably throw that rice out now.
- Total day’s cost: free!
- Breakfast: oatmeal and orange juice
- Lunch: out with some girlfriends. Cost: $18.34 (Entertainment)
- Afternoon snack: out with some girlfriends: Cost: $7.25 (Entertainment)
- Total day’s cost: $26.11
- Entertainment: $55.43
- Dining Out: $19.04
- Groceries: $3.00
- Lunches: $22.09
- Total: $99.56
I think I did a pretty good job of doing what *I* want for food this week. Sometimes I will go along with my coworkers because that was the “easy” route even if I didn’t want to go where they were going or I wanted some time to myself. An excellent side effect of eating lunch by myself or with a friend is that I will often get back from lunch before they do and then I have some quiet time before they all come back!
Looking at the way I generally eat, if I cook a batch of food on Sunday, I think I need to eat some of it during the week for lunches since I do often eat out for dinner with friends. The problem is that my favorite part of lunch time is *leaving* the office building and going for a bit of a walk to wherever I eat lunch. A way around that I suppose is to go eat in the “cafeteria” where there is a microwave instead of sitting in the kitchen on my floor OR to eat “quickly” and then go for a walk with the rest of the time I would have otherwise taken to eat and walk somewhere.
I’m going to keep tracking my food habits each week for the rest of the month and hopefully every other week will be as happy as this one was!
I meant to go out and get groceries yesterday, so I’ll probably do that today.